Dedicated Team

We have a dedicated team at Earlsworth ready to support your student visa journey.

Great Support

We offer post-visa application support (cost implication may apply).

Government Certified

All of our consultants are OISC Regulated.


  • The Student route, which replaced the PBS Tier 4 (Genera), and PBS Tier 4 (Child) migrants
  • This enables those aged 16 and over to study in the UK at a school, college or university that holds a sponsor licence
  • The main requirements:
  • Applicant’s have been offered a place on a course
    • the course is with a licenced sponsor
    • Applicant has been assigned a confirmation of acceptance for studies document (‘CAS’)
  • The Applicant speak, read, write and understand English to a required standard
  • The Applicant meets the finance requirements issued by the Home Office
  • The Applicant does not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal
  • Applicants will be granted leave in line with the duration of their course with additional time at the start and end of the course to settle in and arrange their affairs
  • Applicants may be able to extend their leave or apply for new leave
  • Applicant’s who have previously studied in the UK will only be granted additional leave in limited circumstances
  • Applicant’s may be permitted to work depending on the type of sponsor and level of course
  • Self employment and permanent employment is not permitted
  • Applicants cannot continue to study in the UK indefinitely and a five year cap is placed on study above degree level with only certain exceptions
  • The Student route does not lead to settlement in the UK. Once an applicant has completed their studies, in order to remain in the UK they will be required to switch to another visa category. If they do not meet the requirements of other categories, they will be required to leave the UK at the end of their studies
  • There is a NHS Surcharge

Child Student Route

  • The Child Student route enables a child aged between the age of 4 and 17 to study in the UK at an independent school that holds a sponsor licence.
  • The main requirements:
    • they have been offered a place on a course
    • the course is with a licenced sponsor that is an independent school that has assigned a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (‘CAS);
    • they have consent from and can demonstrate their relationship with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s);
    • they meet the finance requirements issued by the Home Office; and
    • they do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal
    • Applicants will be permitted to come to the UK for the duration of the course as referred to on the CAS.
  • They will be granted some time to settle in before the course commences and some time to organise their affairs after the course has finished.
  • Applicants under 16 may study in the UK for up to six years. If the applicant is 16 or 17 years old they may stay in the UK for the length of their course provided this does not exceed three years.
  • During their stay in the UK applicants aged 16 or over are permitted to carry out part time work of up to 10 hours per week and full time work during vacations. Those under 16 are not permitted to work.
  • Applicants under Child Student route are not able to bring dependants to the UK. If a parent or guardian wishes to accompany a child up to the age of 12 they can apply for a specific visa to accompany the child, or they could rely on another route such as Tier 1 (Investor) if they qualify.
  • The Child Student route does not lead to settlement in the UK.
  • There is a NHS Surcharge

Short-term Study

  • The Short-term study visa route is for those who wish to come to the UK to complete a short course of study such as an English language course or training, or for those looking to do a short period of research as part of a degree course that they are studying abroad
  • Main requirements:
    • they have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study
    • they have enough money to support themselves without working or receiving public funds; and
    • they can pay for their return journey.
  • Those under 18 must also be able to demonstrate that:
    • they have made arrangements for their travel and stay in the UK.
    • they have permission form their parent or guardian to study in the UK.
  • Applicants coming to the UK to study a short course or for a short period of research are able to stay in the UK for up to six months.
  • Applicants who are aged 16 or over who are coming to the UK to take an English language course are able to remain in the UK for up to 11 months.
  • During their stay in the UK those who have entered via this route are not permitted to work, study at a state school or receive public funds.
  • There is a NHS Surcharge

Frequently Asked Questions

How Much Do You Need to Apply for Tier 4 UK Student visa?

A UK student application attracts a £348 fee and a similar amount for every dependant included in the application. There is an additional NHS surcharge applicable to long term students that can be calculated using the official UK immigration website’s automated tools.

The Tier 4 UK student visa allows you to do the following things while living in the UK:

Attend a UK institution – Education

You can get employment while studying in the UK subject to time limitations (20 hours) and your continuing status as a student.

You are allowed to work in your institution’s student union.

Travel and live with your dependants that may include spouses and children.

The UK tier 4 student visa does not allow you to access public funds such as social fund payments, council tax reductions, severe disablement allowances, universal credit, housing allocations among others. You may also be blocked from working in certain occupations while on a student visa.

Is It Possible to Extend a UK Student Visa?

Yes, UK student visas can be extended if the applicant chooses to further their studies beyond graduation or if they take a new course. To extend the visa, you are required to meet the eligibility criterion for the visa (get a confirmation of acceptance-CAS), apply while legally residing in the UK, and have a sponsor.

Student visa extensions can include dependants living with you in the UK at the time of application. A £475 fee for each person in the application will be charged for the student visa extension. Note that priority applications attract higher fees and can significantly shorten the waiting times between applications and decisions.

For those already staying in the UK on different Visas

Switching to or upgrading to a Tier 4 student visa is allowed under UK immigration law. A number of Tier 2 visas can be swapped for a Tier 4 UK student visa at any time, given you meet the qualification requirements for Tier 4 visas.

Documents Required for A Tier 4 Study visa Application

You are supposed to surrender the following documents as part of your student visa application:

Your current passport

Legal consent for those under the age of 18

Financial proof- Bank statements, sponsorship documentation, among others.

TB test results, among other supporting documents

Get Professional Assistance for UK student visa applications

While the UK government has done a great job in outlining the eligibility requirements and application process for student visas, those who are unfamiliar with the UK system might find it daunting. It’s advisable to get professional input for your Tier 4 student visa application.

We have been helping international students who wish to take their studies in the UK for many years. Through these past engagements, we have learned quite a lot in handling various visa applications in the UK. We will show you how to craft a compelling Tier 4 application while helping you jump the barriers that may arise along the way.  Talk to us today if you want to study in the UK on a temporary or long-term student visa.

Need help?
Contact Us
Have any questions? Please feel free to ask below, and an advisor will answer ASAP.